Wednesday 7 April 2010

Mystery blobs or Oystercatchers . . .


This is quite possibly one of the worst photos I've ever taken.

I tried to soup it up a little but sadly it remains a tad boring !




I had two reasons for taking it (he said apologetically) - firstly it was taken from Shotley Marina (looking towards Landguard Fort) and it was Shotley and HMS Ganges that featured in one of my earlier posts. My second excuse for the shot was, I thought if I had photographic evidence, I might be able to solve a mystery and identify the row of blobs feeding at the waters edge ! Having enlarged
the image
I am now fairly sure my blobs are juvenile oystercatchers.

They are somewhat lacking in the beak department with shorter noses than their fully grown parents - either that or I've found a new species ! If there are any ornithologists out there who can solve my dilemma please put me out of my misery !












No comments:

Post a Comment