Saturday 18 December 2010

Typographic Diversion

As this is the first day of my Christmas Holidays I thought I'd celebrate with a typographic diversion ! The image is simply a doodle generated in Photoshop.

The multi-layered pattern began by opening an A4 page in Photoshop, then selecting a colour, font and size, before typing "CHRIS". Next the pattern was selected using the "MARQUEE" tool, then the type was "RASTERISED" by choosing "LAYER" and "TYPE". Finally to make the pattern I selected "FILTER" then "PATTERN MAKER" and before hitting "GENERATE" I experimented by adjusting the "SMOOTHNESS", "SAMPLE DETAIL", "OFFSET" and "AMOUNT OF OFFSET". Next I added four more layers each with a different colour and font size. Each layer was then played with in terms of the CHARACTER of the LAYER and CHANGING the default setting of "NORMAL" to "EXCLUSION", "DIFFERENCE", "PINLIGHT", "OVERLAY" or "SCREEN". I also added a coloured background layer as a white background can be a little bland. The final touches were re-arranging the order of the layers and adjusting the colours. Like it or hate it - the outcome has a festive look, which was what I was looking for. In addition, the theme of my AS Graphics first piece of coursework was "LOST & FOUND" and the fact that you can't actually read the word CHRIS is a bonus !
As I mentioned, its now the holidays so I should get the time to get in my studio and do some more to my infamous "Tudor Painting" and who knows write a few more posts here ! Don't forget to check my Twitter page too ! chriswoodartist
bye for now !


No comments:

Post a Comment