Thursday 13 August 2009

Apologies to Mr Picasso

Oh dear I'm going all didactic again !

I began today's diversion because I wanted to illustrate a piece for my website on the subject of assemblage.

As it says in the title, apologies to Mr Picasso, who provided the inspiration! He was not only a creative power-house but a very good sculptor ! There are excellent examples of his 3D work the world over but if you go to Paris a visit to the Pablo Picasso Museum is well worth it. I really like this piece "baboon and young" and set about my paltry rendition with graphite, ink, rotring pen & brush, before scanning the result and tweaking it in Photoshop. The full size black and white original looks better than this tiny orange image though !

Assemblage is a 3D form of collage. Picasso often incorporated everyday objects into his sculptures and in this one he has used two toy Morris cars to form the muzzle of the baboon's face. The rest of the sculpture was made from plaster around a wooden armature. More on sculpture later !

No comments:

Post a Comment